Alert! Another Desert Dog Danger Update!
Monsoon season is here and so is another desert danger we see. The Desert
(Bufo) Toad. They come out in this more humid weather, generally in the
evening and their numbers wax and wane every year and it seems we have a
bunch in 2015. I remember 12 years ago it was raining toads here, or so it
seemed like. I was enjoying dinner outside at a local Cave Creek
restaurant and noticed these large creatures encompassing the patio dining
area. they are chubby, squatty and unseemly large, measuring up to 7
inches in diameter! They have a deadly neurotoxin on their skin. Curious
Canines who get a taste of this toad (Usually at night) will start to
salivate excessively and in no time can be having life-threatening
seizures. Here is what you need to do. First – If you suspect toad
poisoning, immediately begin to rinse your dogs mouth with water for
several minutes, diluting the toxin in their mouth. Then head straight to
your Veterinarian for pro-active care. The Emergency Animal Clinic on
Scottsdale Road and Williams has expert critical care specialists who know
how to handle these cases if severe.
Brett the Vet’s desert danger ranking for the Desert Toad is 4.5/5 on the
desert danger scale because these creatures seem innocuous, are a less
frequent visitor and we don’t think about them as being a threat like we do
Have Fun. Be Safe!
Brett the Vet